Monday, November 30, 2009

Book Recommendation

Occasionally, on message boards people ask me for information on sword fighting history and techniques. While it is hard to write the moves and techniques down, the history of it is not.

A few years ago my folks got me By the Sword by Richard Cohen

I highly recommend that everyone who wants to learn about the history of Fencing and Sword fighting should read this book.

ISBN 037550417-6
copyright 2002 by Narrative Tension

If you want to learn the moves and techniques, I recommend talking to your local University fencing instructor (if they have one) and see what they can tell you. Hopefully I will be able to locate in the various boxes of our library the manual I got when I took fencing in college and will be able to post it on here for your perusal. Also your local Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) chapter is a good place to get factual and useful information on historical fighting and not sport/competition fighting.

I can also probably be talked into trying to put some basic fencing instruction into writing although I am rusty if you need it and am more than willing to review fight scenes for plausibility. My rates are cheap: cookies and Mt.Dew :P

No comments:

Post a Comment